[ntp:questions] Re: Problems with the Timezone

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Wed May 10 22:14:01 UTC 2006

Marvin Garcia wrote:

> as you see i'm new in solaris so in NTP.
>
> GMT4 is working now. (but it is doing the funtion of GMT-4?)
>
> But the two types of formats i knew were GMT- # or GMT+ # (For GMT
> timezones)
>
> what if i want to add instead of subtract?

Obviously you must then use -4, as you did first.

Please, didn't you read my earlier posts carefully?

>  what do you mean with the old TZ thing works exactly the
> other way round? and why?

I've already explained that GMT-4 is not correct for you since it doesn't
mean your local time is GMT - 4 hours. GMT should by replaced by some other
3 letter code which is an abbreviation of the name of the time zone you're
in, e.g for Central Europe it would be CET.

The number following the 3 letters indicates the time offset between UTC and
local time, which could be specified (for your location):

your local time = UTC - 4 hours, or,
UTC = your local time + 4 hours

That's what I meant vy "the other way round". You thought you had to take
the number from the first equation, but in fact you have to take the number
from the second equation.

Maybe this is due to the old days where computers didn't have a real time
clock, so after reboot, the admin had to enter the current date and time,
which he did according to his local time zone, and the the OS computed UTC
time base on the value in the TZ variable, in your case
UTC = your local time + 4 hours.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki