[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Thu May 11 07:39:09 UTC 2006

Ted Gervais wrote:
> Well I finally got ntpd installed and I have it running.
> Here is what I have in my ntp.conf file:
> -------------
> restrict default noquery notrust nomodify
> restrict 127.0.0.1
> restrict 24.224.176.0 mask 255.255.248.0
> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 3
> server 127.127.1.0
> server 0 pool.ntp.org
> server 1 pool.ntp.org
> server 2 pool.ntp.org
> server pool.ntp.org
> driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
> logfile /var/log/ntp.log
> ------------------
>
> And I am not sure that is all correct or if there istoo much in there
> etc..
>
> As well - I have no idea that ntp(d) is working?  How can I tell and
> if it is how does it change the system time or the hardware time??

Ted,

I can't comment on the restrict and trust lines.  [Question to the
experts: how essential are such lines for an end-client?]

To tell if NTP is working, try the command:

  ntpq -p

after NTP has been up for a while and see if it gives a "reasonable"
output.  If you don't know what "reasonable" is, consult the
documentation.  Perhaps someone will post a link here explaining how to
interpret the results.  If not, one possibility is to check here:

  http://toi.iriti.cnr.it/xntpdoc/debug.html

David