[ntp:questions] Re: TIMEZONE

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed May 17 19:46:55 UTC 2006

Marvin Garcia wrote:

> yes, i knew this form  TZ="US/Eastern"; export TZ
> How can i reset the TZ variable for each process ?
> Once i change the TZ var in the /etc/TIMEZONE file, how do i make the
> system see the new value for all process and users without restarting
> the system?

As far as I know, there is no way other than restarting every process
either one by one, or by rebooting the system.

The fact that Solaris handles the change from standard time to daylight
time and back transparently suggests that there may be a way but I don't
know what it is.

You would do better to ask a question like this in a more appropriate
news group; say comp.unix.solaris or comp.sys.sun.admin.