[ntp:questions] Re: NTP "maximum error" on local network

ajit.warrier at gmail.com ajit.warrier at gmail.com
Thu May 18 14:56:13 UTC 2006

The ntp server is not synchorinizing with remote internet servers, it
is relying only on the local clock, so I do not think "clock-hopping"
is the problem.

We measure the 60ms delay as follows. A node sends a UDP packet from
the server A to the client B. At the MAC layer on A, we put the
timestamp of A in the packet. At the MAC layer at B, we put the time
stamp at B. Finally at the application layer at B, we receive the
packet and print the time stamps. These timestamps show a gap of almost
60ms, while NTP claims an offset of 4us. This is what confuses me.