[ntp:questions] Re: NTP "maximum error" on local network

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Thu May 18 17:16:01 UTC 2006

<ajit.warrier at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1147965955.071918.171600 at i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
[...]
> I am trying to build an isolated system, disconnected from the rest
> of the internet, so I set the REFID to "NIST" and stratum to 0. If
> this is a stupid thing to do, please let me know :)

It is a stupid thing to do.

Correct procedure is to own up to what you're doing and fudge the
stratum to somewhere around 10, leaving the refid what it is,
recogniseably a local clock.

That breaks nothing internally when you're not connected, *and* it
breaks nothing externally when you are.

The former should not be a surprise, I just include it for comfort
(yours). The latter is simple courtesy, which you include for ours.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink