[ntp:questions] Re: How can I speed up syncr. to oncore ref. clock?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed May 24 18:40:58 UTC 2006

Mario Behn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It takes a very long time for NTP on my system to find my oncore as system
> peer. Thanks for any insight. -- Mario
>

>  Here is my configuration file /etc/ntp.oncore.0
>
> *************************************
> MODE 2
> #LAT   42 23.556
> #LONG  -72 32.02620
> #HT 70.0 m
> DELAY 25.0 ns
>
> ASSERT
> HARDPPS
>
> TRAIM YES
> SHMEM /var/log/ntpstats/ONCORE.0
> *************************************
>
> and my log file /var/log/ntpstats/clockstats:

<snip>

It looks very much as if you are cold starting the Oncore.   It says
it's downloading an Almanac and then doing a site survey (to find out
where it is).

I use a mode 3 startup which reads the location from /etc/ntp.oncore.0.
  You have your location commented out in /etc/ntp.oncore.0.   Try
entering the correct lattitude, Longitude and Height without the "#" in
front and using mode 3.  The Oncore should report the correct values
when it finishes its site survey.  You should have a rechargeable
battery backup for your Oncore which will let it remember the Almanac
data for about three weeks if it needs to be powered off that long.

ntpd does seem to take about thirty minutes to reduce a too many
milliseconds offset to as near to zero as it's going to get.