[ntp:questions] Generating a PPS output.

Alexander Fisher alexjfisher at gmail.com
Fri May 26 11:09:03 UTC 2006

Hello

I have an application where I'll have 2 PCs on an ethernet LAN.  One
of these will be fed a GPS PPS input and act as a level-1 NTP server.
The other PC will be an NTP client.  I need to get the client PC to
output a PPS signal.  The new PPS signal needs to match the original
to within 1 ms.   The LAN will be 100Mb/sec or better, won't contain
many switches and will hopefully not be highly loaded.

The intention is that both systems run Linux.

Has anybody here attempted this before?  I'm guessing that in a
controlled environment NTP can be accurate enough for this?

What about generating the PPS output?  I'm thinking about using
something like RTAI.
This article ...
http://linuxgazette.net/issue97/pramode.html
describes how to control the parallel port pins in a deterministic way.

Does this look like a good way forward?  Any advice?

Many thanks,
Alex