[ntp:questions] Re: Ntp configuration

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Tue May 30 16:21:18 UTC 2006

yoni.sz at gmail.com wrote:
> i have a standalone win2k3 server , i wish to configure against a ntpd
> on linux.
[]
> How do i configure the sync to be performed every 15 minutes ?
>
> Tnxs in advance

I can't comment on the Microsoft software, as I use the public NTP
software, but NTP does not "sync every 15 minutes".  Under normal
conditions, NTP will initially sync at a 64 second interval, and as the
offset and frequency of the clock come more into line with the correct
values, NTP will automatically adapt its polling interval towards 1024
seconds (in binary steps).

Issuing the command:

  ntpq  -p  <windows-server>

from the Linux server (or anything on the network running public NTP),
should show the polling interval in the "poll" column.  The value is in
seconds.

I hope that helps.

David