[ntp:questions] NTPD sync now

wa6zvp wa6zvp at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 03:07:28 UTC 2006

nicough at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm setting up PC1 (W2K) as an NTP server for 1 local machine PC2 which
> does not have internet access.
>
> NTP software from http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm installed
> and working on PC1
> w32time service is stopped and disabled.
>
> PC1 ntp.conf:
> driftfile "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"
> logfile "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.log"
> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10
> server msltime.irl.cri.nz
>
> Whenever I stop and start the NTP service on PC1, I have to wait 5
> minutes before PC1 will report the following in the log and start
> acting as an NTP server.
> PC1 ntp.log:
> 1 Nov 12:00:00 ntpd.exe[1792]: The Network Time Protocol Service has
> stopped.
> 1 Nov 12:04:14 ntpd.exe[164]: synchronized to 131.203.16.6, stratum 1
>
> Question: After I start the NTP service, is there a way to give NTP a
> kick to that it synchronises with the internet NTP server immediately,
> so I don't have to wait for 5 minutes? ie a "Sync Now" command using
> something like NTPQ.
>
> Thanks
> Nick

Nick,
 Add the 'iburst' keyword after your server statement like:

server msltime.irl.cri.nz  iburst

 Also, depending on DNS lookup may delay things.  Consider using IP
address instead.

 Probably be a good idea to add a few more sources as well, although
that won't necessarily make it any faster.  iburst is the win here.

    Roger