[ntp:questions] Q: Is there a simple tutorial, how to use authentication with ntp?

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Wed Nov 1 03:31:45 UTC 2006

Jan,

FreeBSD (for example) has an ntp.keys(5) man page - I suspect you can find
copies using your favorite search engine.

Basically, pick a key number, use an MD5 key type, and pick 1-16 hex
characters.

Put this in your ntp.keys file.  If you don't want to copy this file around
to each of your machines, you just have to have the correct key specified
for each association.

This is real easy if every machine has the same ntp.keys file.

For example:

ntp.keys:

12 M deadbeef76543210

I see that we talk about http://ntp.isc.org/Support/ConfiguringAutokey but
we don't yet have a page for private key - if you want to start something
I'm happy to help with it.