[ntp:questions] NTPD sync now

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Thu Nov 2 11:07:00 UTC 2006

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Uwe,

Hey Harlan,
Thanks for your answer,
> There are a couple of ways to go for this case.
>
> - set maxpoll to be some number that will insure at least a couple of
>   "associations" at least once or twice a day
>
> - use the ppp.{up,down} scripts to bring up/tear down your associations
>   and be sure to use iburst in your config file.
the dialing cisco box is separate. I do get its logging stream as input to
syslog though and use it for accounting and other stuff.

i have this in my ntp.conf:
server 172.30.24.1 iburst minpoll 10 maxpoll 16

ppp_{up,down}
The default setup from SuSE does it that way. i.e. a hard restart through
"rcntpd restart" to handle changed IP on interface changes.

But isn't that rather "unelegant"? Doesn't ntpd loose info through a restart?

your idea was to use ntpdc to fix "maxpoll" up and down ?

wouldn't something like "pollnow [hostip] " as cmd to ntpdc be usefull?

uwe