[ntp:questions] NTPD sync now

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Thu Nov 2 19:31:14 UTC 2006

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Uwe,
>
> If your cisco box is the gateway then I think a good way to go is to figure
> out the minimum amount of time the connection will be up and make sure your
> poll interval is not significantly greater than this amount of time.

This does imho not work the way you think or as i understand it.

every time a poll to the upstream server is tried the dialup box will start
dialing ( 1/2 sec delay ) and then the connection will be up for the
idle_timeout time ~30sec.

Data File changes are every 30 minutes on 0/30, There is some postprocessing
delay ~(5 minutes)
Regular connection traffic is per pull from outside every 30minutes 9/39 for
most of the day ( ~sunup till sundown+something , actually a bit less as i can
not dip most antenna dished to look onto the horizon only 10/20 deg above that)

what irks me is that ntp allways creates extra slots in between.

> If it is "just less than" this amount of time, you should be getting a
> "volley" between your server and the outside once per call.
>
> If you are serving multiple hosts, then consider running a local refclock on
> this one machine, so everybody will stay in sync in between phone calls.

uwe