[ntp:questions] notrust alternative?

Dennis Hilberg Jr dhilberg at comcast.net
Fri Nov 3 06:27:01 UTC 2006

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the output of 'ntpq -p'.  When I use this command, a large list is printed to the screen (sometimes 60 or
more entries in length), of which, the first five of the entries are the servers I have listed in my ntp.conf and the rest I'm
assuming are clients, or systems using my server's clock as a synchronization source.  Am I correct on that?  Most of the time those
five servers are the ones that have +, -, or * next to them.  Of those five, there's always a * and usually two +.  On occasion
though, some of the systems in the 'ntpq -p' output OTHER than my five servers have a + next to them.  Is this normal, based on my
ntp.conf?  My concern is that my server might be using systems other than the five I have listed in my ntp.conf as a synchronization
source.  Perhaps I should have worded my initial post this way, as some replies indicate that I might have failed to explain my
situation properly.

Here is my ntp.conf again:

# Default restriction.

restrict default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery

# Allow free access to localhost.

restrict 127.0.0.1

# Allow the local network access with the following modified restrictions.

restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap nopeer

# Synchronization servers.  Include at least three, but no more than five.

server bigben.cac.washington.edu  iburst
server montpelier.ilan.caltech.edu   iburst
server tick.ucla.edu                        iburst
server clock.xmission.com             iburst
server clepsydra.dec.com              iburst

# Drift file location

driftfile /etc/ntp/drift

# Location of the log file

logfile /var/log/ntp/ntp.log

# NTP monitoring parameters

statsdir /var/log/ntp/
statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

# Authentication parameters

#keys           /etc/ntp/keys
#trustedkey     2 3 4
#controlkey     3       # To access the ntpq utility
#requestkey     2       # To access the ntpdc utility

Thanks for all the help.

Dennis.