[ntp:questions] notrust alternative?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 5 01:33:06 UTC 2006

David L. Mills wrote:
> Dennis,
>
> I checked and rechecked, both in the current code and by actual
> experiment. Authentication is enabled by default and associations cannot
> be mobilized unless cryptographically authenticated. If no
> authentication parameters have been configured, then mobilization is not
> possible at all. This is the case in the software that leaves here
> (ntp.org), which is why I insist the "official" distribution comes
> directly from here and is not staged anywhere else.

David,

Something is very wrong here else I fail completely to understand what
you just said!  I have never used authentication yet I have managed to
operate a stratum 1 server with a  GPS reference clock, and five
upstream internet servers.  I have peered this server with another
stratum 1 server I operate using a Traconex WWV receiver as a reference.
I never bothered with authentication.  I have had no problem mobilizing
a symmetric association (peer) nor the normal client server associations
with my internet servers.  I have not disabled authentication but I have
never configured it between any of my local systems or between my local
systems and my upstream servers.