[ntp:questions] notrust alternative?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sun Nov 5 05:17:03 UTC 2006

Richard,

You may have misunderstood what the enable/disable auth does. It has
nothing to do with the autentication method or lack of it. If the switch
is enabled (enable auth), then associations cannot be mobilized unless
authentication parameters have been configured and the symmetric active
or broadcast client is correctly authenticated. If it is disabled
(disable auth), then mobilization is allowed without requiring
authentication. This is very bad and apparently led to what evidently is
a memory clogging attack.

All users: Don't put "disable auth" in your configuration file unless
you understand the resulting vulnerability and your network cannot be
connected to the public Internet under any circumstances. Also, make
sure the Linux and FreeBSD and others do not provide NTP software with
that switch disabled.

Explicit statements on the interplay between the various option is at
line 516 et seq in the ntp_proto.c file in the current distribution.

Dave