[ntp:questions] Remarkably good CPU oscillators?

shoppa at trailing-edge.com shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Sun Nov 5 14:54:16 UTC 2006

I have a tiny mini-ITX motherboard that has served as a stratum-1 for
several years.

It sits in the basement, so no radically wild swings in temperature or
other environmental factors.

Still, this morning when I look back at a few years of loopstats, the
oscillator in this thing is remarkably, and maybe unbelievably, stable.
It has stuck in the -2.5 to -5.5 PPM range over the past two years, and
in a typical daily swing it might go up and down by a 0.5 PPM.

Is this statistic just "too good to be true"? Or did I luck out when I
bought this box many years ago?

It has two refclocks available, wwv_audio and a Z3801A (via hpgps and a
PPS nanokernel), and cross-checking between the two I believe them
both.

Tim.