[ntp:questions] Remarkably good CPU oscillators?

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 5 16:35:18 UTC 2006

In article <1162738456.358848.206590 at h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
shoppa at trailing-edge.com wrote:

> Is this statistic just "too good to be true"? Or did I luck out when I
> bought this box many years ago?

No. If anything it is bordering on the too big to be good.  This is
one of the main reasons why I think that ntpd should be much more reluctant
to apply corrections of more than about 3 to 5 ppm, once the frequency has
been calibrated.  My feeling is that it should limit the corrections to
this range unless there is an extended period indicative of a different
frequency.  It might be reasonable to allow, say, 0.1ppm per day to
account for long term drift.