[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.2p4 loopstats

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sun Nov 5 18:22:22 UTC 2006

jg,

The source and interpretation of the loopstats data have not changed in
several years. The fields in order are MJD, seconds of the day, offset
(s), frequency (PPM), jitter (s), wander/stability (PPM) and time
constant/poll interval (log2 s). If you are using a distribution not
from here, anything goes.

Note the statistics from the ntpq rv command, which has for a long time
showed stability/wander and noise. There is a technical reason for this,
but a careful explanation would bore you to tears. Someday all this
should be rationalized with respect to the reference documentation.

Dave