[ntp:questions] How init process will call the SNTP client software?

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Mon Nov 6 09:59:18 UTC 2006

"Brahma" <reddi.brahma at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1162803529.429955.140100 at e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
[...]
> I want to know the "How init(Linux) process will call the SNTP client
> software?"

If you want init to run it, put it in inittab ('man inittab').
But generally, you don't want to do that. Much too low-level.

Most people would run it from cron, putting it in crontab
('man crontab'). Cron is one of those things that Just Run.

Ntpd (the full daemon) is another of those things that just run,
on my systems. There's a somewhat elaborate system of starting
daemons and subsystems for the applicable runlevel, starting with
the /etc/rc.d/rc script run from inittab - in the fairly old Red
Hat versions I have: on System V-style systems, it always looks
somewhat like that, but the exact implementation varies.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink