[ntp:questions] Frequency discipline and NTP

Mauro Fiacco Mauro.Fiacco at ipaccess.com
Mon Nov 6 10:20:35 UTC 2006

Dear all,

On our hardware platform I have the capacity of provide a frequency
correction as well as providing NTP.

We need NTP, as it is always on, while the frequency correction can
be only provided over long(ish) periods (lets assume these are within
the stability duration of the oscillator).

Has anybody have any thought on how to combine this extra information to
NTP. My thoughts are that if these extra frequency correction are applied
directly to the oscillator, it will affect the dispersion calculated by
NTP.  Thus making the clock discipline less precise than without the
frequency correction.

Any thoughts on this direction?

Regards,

Mauro