[ntp:questions] preempt Option

evandro at mailandnews.com evandro at mailandnews.com
Mon Nov 6 16:15:40 UTC 2006

Dave,

Here's what I see:

I configure a server to have a preempt association.  Instead of showing
in the servers list with a KOD as you said, it doesn't show up at all.
Will this preemptable server ever be contacted again?

I came up the preempt server option because I wanted to have a backup
server in case of failure of the main ones.  But because this server
runs Windows XP, it's pretty jittery, and because it was close and was
of a higher stratum than other more consistent servers, it ended up
being picked as the sync server.  But in spite of NTP's decision, it's
still a poor time reference.

Or perhaps would letting the client do its best on its own be better
than using a poor backup server?

TIA