[ntp:questions] notrust alternative?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 6 22:41:02 UTC 2006

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> Richard> Some of those lines in the ntpq -p banner were stratum two and
> Richard> could have been peers.  The rest were stratum three so I don't see
> Richard> how they could have been peers; don't peers have be of equal
> Richard> strata?
>
> No.
>
> server/peer is independent of strata.

But how can the relationship be symmetric if the strata are different?
If a stratum 2 and a stratum 3 server peered, the stratum 3 could get
time from the stratum 2 but the stratum 2 would never take time from the
stratum 3!  I suppose there could be situations where the stratum of one
or both was variable. . . .