[ntp:questions] NTPD not receiving any response from timservers

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Tue Nov 7 00:29:42 UTC 2006

In article <eioara$1fuj$5 at hedeland.org> per at hedeland.org (Per Hedeland) writes:
>In article <NeCdnel-boYNOdLYnZ2dnUVZ_tCdnZ2d at comcast.com> "Richard
>B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:
>>lingsmail at gmail.com wrote:
>
>[full quote of 150-line posting snipped]
>
>>Remove the restrict statements!

>And just a suggestion, but maybe you should limit your posting to a
>level where you actually have time to give a response that is based on
>the problem description rather than auto-sending FAQ-responses. It is
>quite clear from the extensive information provided by the OP that
>restrict statements are *not* the problem.

OK, egg on my face - after actually testing it, I can confirm that at
least in this case you were right - restrict statements that cause the
packets to be rejected will actually also cause the "receive" lines to
be missing from the debug output (at least in 4.2.0) - I think this is
at least counter-intuitive.

--Per Hedeland
per at hedeland.org