[ntp:questions] NTPD not receiving any response from timservers

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 7 08:10:36 UTC 2006

In article <1162853523.696083.78710 at h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
lingsmail at gmail.com wrote:

> > >I have iptables running, and although I believe as long as established
> > >connections are allowed through it should need no special

There are no connections involved.

> If this was the case, wouldn't ntpdate also fail?  This machine (and
> this iptables) /is/ the router that connects me to the internet.

Not if used in diagnostic mode, as it uses an unprivileged source
port, which is typically allowed back in by the default firewall
configuration.  This is a common cause of confusion when debugging
this problem (which typically happens on Red Hat when someone installs
the official ntpd).