[ntp:questions] War stories from an NTP server manufacturer's marketing executive (Was: War stories from a NTP server manufacturer)

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Nov 10 21:42:23 UTC 2006

Uwe,

WMD? Once upon a time the NTP software distribution included a Digital
Encryption Standard (DES) routine, which required the DoD and Commerce
Department to certify it for export outside the US and Canada under the
International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). NTP was in effect
considered a munition. The Commerce Department required an export
license for each and every export instance. This was the main reason DES
was dropped in favor of MD5.

ITAR was eventually overtaken by something else, so now an export
license is no longer required.

Thought you might enjoy that.

Dave