[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.2p4 loopstats

TomD Thomas.Donovan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 23:23:30 UTC 2006

re: "I believe Dave has good reasons for making these sort of changes"

      Absolutely!    Me too!

That's why I urged no other changes besides what goes into loopstats.

Let's not overstate the problem.   A "few" people might need to adjust
to the change in the data files.  In this case, a bit of an explanation
in the release notes and docs might have been good enough.

In hindsight: adding clock_jitter as an eighth field - leaving the
other seven fields intact - might also have been a nice choice, but
only because sys_jitter is still available.

As it is, any folks who seriously post-process loopstats probably won't
balk at a small code-change to buy them a little more time to adapt to
the new stats.

I'm not sure if you really want to get into data analysis on log files.
That would likely be a messy business.  Everyone probably does it
differently.  I'd hate to see any NTP development effort redirected
towards data-analysis at the expense of time-keeping.

Just my 2 cents worth...

-tom-