[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.2p4 loopstats

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Nov 14 04:09:18 UTC 2006

TomD,

There are several jitter statistics now, including per-association
jitter and system jitter. These statistics are averages of first-oder
time differences. It became apparent that frequency differences are a
valuable indicator of equipment malfunction, A/C failure and so on. I
could have simply tacked on an additional field, but there would be many
more guys than just you out for my scalp. The old statistic wasn't very
useful anyway. Take it from me and my own monitoring stash that you
really want the frequency differences, properly interpreted as wander or
maybe noise, but not jitter in the normal techical interpretation.

The intended interpretation of loopstats is, as the name suggests,
watching the discipline loop time, time differences, frequency,
frequency differences and time constant (poll interval). From long
experience, these xstatistics are really what you need to know. Watch
the ;noise over a day or two; see how exquisitly sensitive it is.

Dave