[ntp:questions] NTP accuracy on Linux

Muralidharan Palanisamy muralida at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 18:17:43 UTC 2006

Hi All,
Iam running NTP on Linux (Red Hat) AS4 on HP DL385 dual core and the offset
shoots to as high as 500Ms and dosnt seem to converge.
By changing max poll to 4 the offset remains below 1 ms but the clock is
constantly being corrected.
When I run Solaris on same hardware the accuracy is consistently below
500Micro Seconds.
Our legacy NTP servers are on Sun hardware with Solaris and they are
consistently under 70Micro Seconds offset.
I have tried various options on Linux but couldn't get the accuracy of
legacy Sun server.
Is it possible to achieve accuracy under 100Mico seconds with Linux on
DL385? All servers are referencing GPS St1 clocks.

Thanks,
#! Murali