[ntp:questions] xntpd related querries

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Fri Nov 24 18:04:51 UTC 2006

>I've never heard of anyone using NTP via a proxy.  As far as I know, you
>must send a request to an NTP server and the server will send a reply.
>Your system must send at least five requests to the server and receive
>five replies before it can start disciplining your clock.

I'm not sure what a proxy is for NTP.  I know that NTP works through
NAT, at least on my DSL modem.  It wouldn't be hard to write some code
that just relayed NTP packets.

The usual solution if you have a firewall type machine in the way is to
run ntpd on that machine and ask it directly.  (You probably want ntpd
running on it anyway so the times in your log files are accurate.)