[ntp:questions] Stabilizing the drift file?

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Mon Nov 27 11:08:31 UTC 2006

Ulrich Windl wrote:
> Robert Wachinger <job at Robert-Wachinger.de> writes:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>did anybody else have the problem, to have to stabilize the frequency discipline
>>faster than the normal 15 minutes to hours? Does any solution exist?
>

> "Hack the daemon" is the most likely solution (despite of "iburst" and "burst").
>

>>We have here the requirement to have a replaced board (a fresh one from the factory,
>>where a correct content of the drift file is unknown) up after 5 minutes in a cluster,
>>which also means, that its time does not stray more than 10ms (within the cluster).
>>
>>Any tips?
>>We tried here to "play" with minpoll, burst, initial drift files (value 0).
>

> What about not running the new board in the cluster first?
>
> Ulrich
Does it have to play "nice" or work as a "reliable server" instantly?

in case of nice ( for "single action replacement" requirements) :
write some shellscript that evaluates the driftfile ( on a regular basis per cron).

Start with and keep the machine mum as ntp server.

Change ntp configuration ( per script ) when your quality requirements are met.

Switch back ( and mail for help ) when the box misbehaves.

uwe