[ntp:questions] iburst

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Mon Nov 27 14:33:03 UTC 2006

terrypearl wrote:
> Hal Murray wrote:

> I finally learned about ntpd about a week ago. It had been set to run by
> the FC 5 installation. But the firewall prevented synch. When I finally
> got that worked out, my boot time went from about 1 minute to many
> minutes. In watching the boot messages, I discovered that ntpd was the
> culprit. It takes ntpd several minutes to synch during boot. Was simply
> trying to get that synch time down to something under 1 minute. During
ntpd runs as daemon.
The usual rc scripts do not wait for the daemon to be in sync.
What you may run into is the startup script trying to set the initial date
by way of ntpdate with an unresolvable ( per DNS ) or unreachable server hostname.

( On my SuSE Systems this timeout may eat upto 30 seconds of boot time. )

If you start/run your System in an "occasional user" manner
( i.e. switch it on, use for an hour, switch off ... ) you may well be better of
by just setting the time and leaving it at that. ( I have an old Win3.1 System
running that has gained 2 hours since i last adjusted its RTC 3/4 years ago.)

uwe