[ntp:questions] iburst

terrypearl fxaxsxtxsxnxixpx-xbxcxaxrxdx at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 00:47:17 UTC 2006

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> terrypearl <fxaxsxtxsxnxixpx-xbxcxaxrxdx at yahoo.com> writes:
>> It takes ntpd several minutes to synch during
>> boot. Was simply trying to get that synch time down to something under
>> 1 minute.
>
> I used to run fc5 on two computers here (before upgrading to fc6) and
> ntpd didn't hang for more than a few seconds.
>
> I suspect you have a named(1) problem, probably caused by your
> external firewall also.  As an experiment why not run iptables and
> plug your computer directly into the dsl/cable modem and see if the
> problems go away?

Cannot plug directly into the DSL modem. The modem is part of the DSL
modem/ethernet hub. It is one box.

> -wolfgang

If you are always rushing towards the future,
Then you never have any past.

Terry Boldt
Paraphrasing Ben Franklin:

Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

The exact quote:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
   Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790),
   US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer
   Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759