[ntp:questions] Suitable ntp.conf for public NTP server?

Koos van den Hout koos at cs.uu.nl
Tue Nov 28 09:59:16 UTC 2006

David Woolley <david at djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> ntpd never re-resolves domain names, so any servers which change address
> are lost until the next reboot.

And I can tell you: some ntp clients can keep up for months. We removed a
server from the pool at the beginning of August. It was around 1800 active
clients at that time. It is now (nearing the end of November) around 500
active clients. All very stable and boring, but all still generating some
traffic.

So a 'may sometimes change' IP isn't the best choice for a pool
member.

                                               Koos

Koos van den Hout, herding Suns and networks as koos at cs.uu.nl
+31-30-2534104              PGP keyid 0x27513781
http://idefix.net/~koos/            Use PGP when possible!
Camp Wireless, wireless Internet access at campsites http://camp-wireless.org/