[ntp:questions] Re: load balancer

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Thu Oct 5 20:48:03 UTC 2006

>i'm having problems configuring ntp on my network
>i have 3 servers behaind a bigip running ntp, and
>they are unable to sync with my stratum 1 clock of choice.
>my other servers on another network are syncing beautifully.

What is a "bigip"?

ntpd uses UDP port 123.  You have to arrange for the answers
to go back to the right place.  NAT boxes often get into
trouble because they think port 123 is a server port and
send the answers off the the "right" server or drop them
if no server is configured on that port.  I'd guess that
load balancers would have similar quirks.