[ntp:questions] load balancer

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Fri Oct 6 02:14:51 UTC 2006

Julie S. Lin wrote:
> Hi
>
> i'm having problems configuring ntp on my network
> i have 3 servers behaind a bigip running ntp, and
> they are unable to sync with my stratum 1 clock of choice.

Please define what you mean by bigip and for that matter what you mean
by load balancer. Load balancing has no meaning in the ntp space, each
ntp server can only server its own time as maintained by an upstream ntp
source. Are you behind a firewall and are the 123/UDP ports open so that
you can send and receive ntp packets? Ignore TCP, ntp doesn't use it.

> my other servers on another network are syncing beautifully.
>
> has anyone run into this problem and can give me advice on how
> to enable this syncing?  i understand this is a networking issue
> but figure I'd make sure there's no ntp specific considerations.  thanks

We don't know that without looking at your ntp configuration, version
and logs.

> the request looks like this
>
> [root]# /usr/sbin/ntpdate -d time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov

Please do not use ntpdate for this, use ntpd. There are very few reasons
to use it.

> 4 Oct 14:57:28 ntpdate[23994]: ntpdate 4.1.2 at 1.892 Tue Feb 24 06:32:26
> EST 2004  (1)
> transmit(132.163.4.103)
> transmit(132.163.4.103)
> transmit(132.163.4.103)
> transmit(132.163.4.103)
> transmit(132.163.4.103)
> 132.163.4.103: Server dropped: no data
> server 132.163.4.103, port 123

Meaning that it didn't respond and probably is a firewall issue.

Danny