[ntp:questions] Re: load balancer

Darren Dunham ddunham at redwood.taos.com
Fri Oct 6 17:57:59 UTC 2006

Julie S. Lin <jlin at myvest.com> wrote:
> i'm having problems configuring ntp on my network
> i have 3 servers behaind a bigip running ntp, and
> they are unable to sync with my stratum 1 clock of choice.
> my other servers on another network are syncing beautifully.

Can you ask the bigip to not touch NTP (UDP/123) packets?  Presumably
it's either rewriting them as they leave or not properly delivering them
when they return.

> has anyone run into this problem and can give me advice on how
> to enable this syncing?  i understand this is a networking issue
> but figure I'd make sure there's no ntp specific considerations.
> thanks

> the request looks like this

> [root]# /usr/sbin/ntpdate -d time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov
>  4 Oct 14:57:28 ntpdate[23994]: ntpdate 4.1.2 at 1.892 Tue Feb 24 06:32:26
> EST 2004  (1)
> transmit(132.163.4.103)
> transmit(132.163.4.103)
> transmit(132.163.4.103)

This means that no valid responses were seen returning.  I don't know
what kind of logging is available to you on the F5.  Watching traffic on
both sides of the device would at least tell you if it's inbound or
outbound that is having the issue.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com