[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd PLL and clock overshoot

user at domain.invalid user at domain.invalid
Mon Oct 9 15:26:51 UTC 2006

Richard,

The overshoot is the result of a misdirected Solaris/Linux design of the
adjtime() system call. The design added a poll to the transfer function
in order to speed the response to a programmed offset. The result
completely torpedoes the PLL transient response and there is nothing
that can be done to correct it in ntpd itself. What you see is what you
get. The problem is most apparent with large initial frequency offsets,
which are guaranteed to result in pinball behavior. Note the overshoots
do not occur in FreeBSD or Tru64, which have a reasonable design.

Dave