[ntp:questions] Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

Ry malayter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 14:17:56 UTC 2006

Eugen COCA wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've tested a W2k3 box time synchronization by setting the server using
> the command line:
>
> net time /setsntp:time.usv.ro
> net stop w32time
> net start w32time
>
> As a result, when checking another server (i.e. time.microsoft.com)
> from the list box, I obtain an timeout error messages. Only the server
> time.usv.ro works fine. The experiment is the same with any other ntp
> server (I've tried many public servers).

First off, are you sure NTP packets aren't being firewalled from your
usv.ro domain? The fact that you can reach an internal time server, but
no external ones, leads me to believe that is most likely the case.

Second, you should really be using the "w32tm /configure" command, as
the NET TIME command is an alterantive interface provided only for
backward compatibility with previous windows versions. NET TIME doesn't
have nearly as many options. You can also use the Group Policy GUI to
make these settings.

Also make sure you use "time.usv.ro,0x8" when you specify a time
servers. The ",0x8" at the end of the hostname tells the windows time
service to be a client of the specified server, rather than request
symmetric-active connections (which may be blocked by some time servers
out there). You can specify multiple servers by separating them with
spaces and enclosing the whole list in double qoutation marks.

For all of the details, see:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/f/?en/library/a0fcd250-e5f7-41b3-b0e8-240f8236e2101033.mspx

You can test connectivity via NTP to any server by using the command:
  w32tm /monitor /computers:ro.pool.ntp.org
This example tests the romanian NTP pool. If that reports no time
received from the server, then NTP packets are being blocked "upstream"
from you.