[ntp:questions] Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Wed Oct 11 01:45:14 UTC 2006

Eugen COCA wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've tested a W2k3 box time synchronization by setting the server using
> the command line:
>
> net time /setsntp:time.usv.ro
> net stop w32time
> net start w32time

The fact that you had to stop and start the service indicates how badly
the net time interface was written. It doesn't take much to write code
update information in the registry and then notify the service to go
reread it and act accordingly.

> As a result, when checking another server (i.e. time.microsoft.com)
> from the list box, I obtain an timeout error messages. Only the server
> time.usv.ro works fine. The experiment is the same with any other ntp
> server (I've tried many public servers).
>
> Before typing the "net time ..." command all servers from the initial
> list (time.microsoft.com; time.nist.gov, etc.) worked fine.

If it was working before why wouldn't it work now? I know, that's a
question for Microsoft.

Danny