[ntp:questions] Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 11 14:33:34 UTC 2006

Danny Mayer wrote:

> Heiko Gerstung wrote:
>
>>Danny Mayer schrieb:

>>>The fact that you had to stop and start the service indicates how badly
>>>the net time interface was written. It doesn't take much to write code
>>>update information in the registry and then notify the service to go
>>>reread it and act accordingly.
>>
>>Is this possible with ntpd? I mean, applying changes to ntp.conf and
>>then tell the daemon/service to re-read its configuration file? I would
>>really love to see such a feature ... :-)
>>

> It's much harder to do with ntpd. Writing and reading registry bits is
> easy. ntpd has to deal with a lot of different platforms, but yes it is
> one of the things we would like to implement.

<snip>

It could be fone for the Unix/Linux platforms.  Send SIGHUP to the
daemon, the daemon catches the signal, rereads the configuration file
and starts making changes!  Other platforms may not have an equivalent
mechanism.  I don't think Windows does and I'm pretty sure that VMS does
not have a standard mechanism for this either.

OTOH, you can use ntpdc to make changes on the fly. . . .