[ntp:questions] Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung_removeme_ at meinberg.de
Wed Oct 11 15:13:55 UTC 2006

Richard B. Gilbert schrieb:
> Danny Mayer wrote:
>
>> Heiko Gerstung wrote:

>>> Is this possible with ntpd? I mean, applying changes to ntp.conf and
>>> then tell the daemon/service to re-read its configuration file? I would
>>> really love to see such a feature ... :-)
>>>

>> It's much harder to do with ntpd. Writing and reading registry bits is
>> easy. ntpd has to deal with a lot of different platforms, but yes it is
>> one of the things we would like to implement.
>>

> <snip>
>
> It could be fone for the Unix/Linux platforms.  Send SIGHUP to the
> daemon, the daemon catches the signal, rereads the configuration file
> and starts making changes!  Other platforms may not have an equivalent
> mechanism.  I don't think Windows does and I'm pretty sure that VMS does
> not have a standard mechanism for this either.

Maybe it would be an option to simply use ntpdc to issue a "reload
config" command on those platforms that do not support the signal events?

> OTOH, you can use ntpdc to make changes on the fly. . . .

Yep, but it would be nice to stick with one interface (configuration
file). Basically I would say that you might be able to get rid of ntpdc
when you replace it with a piece of software that would cause ntpd to
reload its config file. This way you would support all possible
configuration parameters and do not run into trouble due to incompatible
mode 7 packet formats.

For remote configurations, I could imagine that this "ntpcc" ("NTP
Change Configuration") tool can send a new config file remotely to the
NTP daemon, just like this

# ntpcc 172.16.3.2 my_new_ntp.conf

And, while we are in dream mode(tm), I would also like ntpd to have a
sophisticated "re-parse config file" feature that finds out what has
changed and tries to keep the carefully collected statistics and the
math when possible. So, if you only want to add a server, you can just
insert the "server x.y.z.a iburst" line into your ntp.conf and then fire
up ntpcc which causes ntpd to _not_ throw away all filter data for each
already configured association but simply sets up a new one for the new
server.

To simplify the handling, a few quite popular commands could be handled
via command line parameters, like adding/removing associations or
switching logging on/off or ... you name it ...

<DUCK DOWN>zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzooooooosh!</DUCK DOWN>

Wow! I already feel the "if you want it, do it yourself" replies aimed
at my poor little head :-)

Well, maybe one day ...

Best regards,
Heiko

MEINBERG Radio Clocks
www.meinberg.de

IRIG. Rackmount and desktop versions and PCI slot cards.