[ntp:questions] Re: AW: convert_rawdcf: parity check FAILED on my embedded Linux system

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 13 18:18:19 UTC 2006

Torsten Krieger wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have a problem with NTP server version 4.2.2p3 and my embedded Linux
> system FOX Board. I'am using a raw dcf77 receiver from Sure, the receiver is
> working fine with my Linux PC but not with my embedded system. I found that
> parity check is disable on the Linux PC but not on my embedded system, so I
> have also disabled the parity check on the Fox Board, which than results to
> the following ERRORS seen in the log file:
>
> ntpd[83]: parse: convert_rawdcf: parity check FAILED for
> "-###----#--#--#-----S-------P-2----P-2--12-241-4-1---8---8p"
>
> Any idea what is going wrong!
>
> Many thanks in advanced,
> Torsten

I'm not familiar with the hardware involved and not very familiar with
Linux but, it seems as if you have either failed to disable parity or
that disabling parity is the wrong thing to do!  If your receiver is
generating a parity check bit, the format of the serial data will
include a parity bit and "disabling" parity on only one end of the
circuit may not have the desired effect.  The "secret" of getting RS232
serial communications to work is to have both ends set to the SAME:
speed, number of data bits, number of "stop" bits and parity!  If both
ends have the same settings and it still doesn't work, you probably have
a bug in either the receiver or the Linux serial port driver.