[ntp:questions] Re: AW: convert_rawdcf: parity check FAILED on my embedded Linux system

Frank Kardel kardel at ntp.org
Sat Oct 14 08:16:17 UTC 2006

Torsten.Krieger at krieger-mis.de (Torsten Krieger) writes:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have a problem with NTP server version 4.2.2p3 and my embedded Linux
> system FOX Board. I'am using a raw dcf77 receiver from Sure, the receiver is
> working fine with my Linux PC but not with my embedded system. I found that
> parity check is disable on the Linux PC but not on my embedded system, so I
> have also disabled the parity check on the Fox Board, which than results to
> the following ERRORS seen in the log file:
>
> ntpd[83]: parse: convert_rawdcf: parity check FAILED for
> "-###----#--#--#-----S-------P-2----P-2--12-241-4-1---8---8p"
>
> Any idea what is going wrong!

This has nothing to do with parity check on the serial port.

The DCF77 signal transmits 3 parity bits in its data stream.
This messages is generated when the check fails. This happens
usually when the reception is sub-optimal and bit errors occur.
Occasional errors are harmless.

If this message is interfering with the opration of your embedded
system you should only disable the output of the message - not the
check.

Frank