[ntp:questions] Multiple ntp processes?

Scot P. Floess floess at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 14 18:16:34 UTC 2006

I didn't readily find an answer to this problem...

I note when I start ntp as an init script running Fedora Core 5 on a
dual PIII 450 Mhz box, I see two ntpd processes running.  By looking at
the PID and PPID it appears one ntpd is starting the other.  I note in
/var/log/messages I will see logs with intermixed times.  For instance,
a log with time X followed by logs with X - some prior time...it's very
odd...

If, on the command line, I stop ntpd both processes stop fine.  By
starting ntpd again...I note only one ntpd process running.

My question is:  is this behavior normal on a dual processor box?  Based
on the odd timestamps in /var/log/messages - I would have to say only
one ntpd should be running...it almost "feels" like the two ntpd's are
fighting to set the system clock.

Thanks in advance!

Scot

--