[ntp:questions] Re: Multiple ntp processes?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 16 13:46:05 UTC 2006

Scot P. Floess wrote:
> I didn't readily find an answer to this problem...
>
> I note when I start ntp as an init script running Fedora Core 5 on a
> dual PIII 450 Mhz box, I see two ntpd processes running.  By looking at
> the PID and PPID it appears one ntpd is starting the other.  I note in
> /var/log/messages I will see logs with intermixed times.  For instance,
> a log with time X followed by logs with X - some prior time...it's very
> odd...
>
> If, on the command line, I stop ntpd both processes stop fine.  By
> starting ntpd again...I note only one ntpd process running.
>
> My question is:  is this behavior normal on a dual processor box?  Based
> on the odd timestamps in /var/log/messages - I would have to say only
> one ntpd should be running...it almost "feels" like the two ntpd's are
> fighting to set the system clock.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Scot

Only one instance of ntpd is supposed to be running.  Something about
the way you are starting your system is starting two processes.  The
most likely cause is executing the ntpd startup script twice.  If you add:
echo "Starting ntpd at `date`"
to the script that starts ntpd, you will see the message twice during
startup if that is your problem.  I can't imagine what else it might be
so, if it is something else, please let us know.