[ntp:questions] Re: How to change STRATUM on linux.

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Wed Oct 18 12:39:12 UTC 2006

On 2006-10-18, Philippe Dhont  Sea-ro <philippe.dhont at searo.be> wrote:

> i also want to sync all my cisco switches with that ntp server but
> that's not working and probably because the cisco switch thinks that the
> ntp server has stratum 16 (that's what it says in show ntp associations)
> so it thinks it is not reliable.

If your "ntp server" is reporting that it is at Stratum-16 then it is
most likely not synchronized to a time source. You need to fix this
first.

Please post the output from 'ntpq -p your.ntp.server' and the active
lines from your ntp.conf.

> Is there a way so that i can my the cisco thinks that the linux server
> has stratum 1 so that it will take that host as reliable and configure
> its time with it ?

First you have to make sure that your "ntp server" is really working.

> in other words, how can i change on linux the stratum value ?

You can't do it directly (except in certain circumstances.