[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd server on Linux/Debian with SPARC Sun Blade 100

Olivier Bornet Olivier.Bornet at puck.ch
Thu Oct 19 14:05:50 UTC 2006

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 08:55:17AM -0400, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> There is a well known problem with some flavors of Linux.  There is a
> kernel parameter, HZ, which, if set to "250" or "1000" can cause the
> loss of clock interrupts.  It should be set to 100 for best results.

Right ! It was originally at 250, and I already have test it at 1000
(because I was thinking that if it is higher, it will be more precise.
Seems I was wrong).

Compilation of a new kernel with 100 is now in progress... I will keep
you informed on the status with ntpd.

> Another solution would be to download Solaris 10 (free) from Sun and
> install it.

Hummm... I prefer to stay with Linux... Even if Solaris 10 is free. But
thanks for the proposition.

Thanks for your help.

        Olivier
--