[ntp:questions] Re: Multiple ntp processes?

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Thu Oct 19 23:17:32 UTC 2006

In article <T1161151725 at djwhome.demon.co.uk> david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
(David Woolley) writes:
>In article <eh3oj3$qu5$1 at hedeland.org>, per at hedeland.org (Per Hedeland) wrote:
>
>> .... and (last but not certainly not least) discipline the local clock
>> based on the saved drift value.
>
>Although that doesn't apply on Unix systems using the kernel time discipline,
>or, as far as I know, on Windows NT, as the frequency correction is locked into
>the kernel by a single call.

Well, I guess it would still apply at boot (which is the typical case of
running the forked-off DNS resolver for people that don't constantly
tinker with their NTP setup:-), i.e. ntpd needs to pass the info to the
kernel at that point, right?

>One reason for needing the separate process is that the traditional
>implementation of the DNS resolver API in Unix is a blocking library
>routine.

Of course - that's the only reason AFAIK (plans for ntpd to use an async
resolver was already mentioned in the thread I believe).

--Per Hedeland
per at hedeland.org