[ntp:questions] question about my ntpd.conf

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Thu Oct 26 04:45:17 UTC 2006

On 2006-10-25, Cong <congngo at yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip: old ntp.conf>

Here's a cleaned up version. I've removed a couple of lines that served
no purpose and appended iburst to your server lines to get you quicker
initial sync.

-------------------------------------8X-------------------------------------

# General Settings
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
logfile /var/log/ntp.log

# Default Restrictions
restrict default kod nomodify notrap noquery
restrict 127.0.0.1

# Authorized Clients
restrict 10.0.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap

# Undisciplined Local Clock
server	127.127.1.0
fudge	127.127.1.0 stratum 10

# Remote Time Servers
server 0.us.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 1.us.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 2.us.pool.ntp.org iburst

-------------------------------------8X-------------------------------------

The following lines are not doing anything:

> broadcastdelay	0.008
> keys		/etc/ntp/keys

> shouldn't I have this line for my server instead like below
> restrict a.b.c.d (my server) mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap no
> query

No. Restrict lines affect how your ntpd treats packets that arrive FROM
the address / subnet specified on that line.

BTW: You can not currently use restrict statements for hostnames that
resolve to more than one IP address unless you include separate restrict
statements for every possible IP address. So the best that you can do
for pool servers is set a reasonable default restriction.

You may want to take a look at http://ntp.isc.org/Support/AccessRestrictions