[ntp:questions] NTP internal server?

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Fri Oct 27 08:32:42 UTC 2006

<metogroup at group.com> wrote in message
news:QVi0h.7$3n2.2 at newreader.ukcore.bt.net...

> I should have said, I am using an HTTP utility on the server to
> synchronise with the Internet given that NTP is blocked.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Getting your time
from HTTP responses is _vastly_ inferior to NTP.

I'm also not quite sure what good they think they're doing. I'd
say that HTTP is the more dangerous of the two.

If they're worried about punching holes in their firewall, they
could limit it to (NTP) traffic to and from an ISP NTP server.
Presumably they trust their ISP for that, given that they trust
everybody and his dog HTTP-wise.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink